More information about Nulato

In 1838, the Russian explorer Malakov established a trading post in Nulato.The Kokukuk River people massacred a large part of the population of Nulato in 1851, probably due to a trade dispute.After the Alaska Purchase, a United States military telegraph line was constructed along the north side of the Yukon River. The gold rush along the Yukon River that began in 1884 brought many new diseases to the area and many people died. Our Lady of Snows Roman Catholic mission and school were opened in 1887 and many people moved to Nulato to be near the school. A measles epidemic and food shortages during 1900 reduced the population of the area by one-third. 1900 was also the peak year for steamboat travel on the Yukon River, with 46 boats in operation. That summer, two boats per day stopped at Nulato to purchase firewood.Gold prospectors left the Yukon River area for Fairbanks and Nome in 1906. Lead mining began around neighboring Galena in 1919.Nulato incorporated as a city in 1963. In 1981, housing was built at a new townsite 3 km (2 miles) from present Nulato.Every other year the people gather in Nulato to celebrate the week long Stick Dance Festival. It is celebrated on the years that it is not held in Kaltag, Alaska. People from all over the Athabascan region gather in the small village to attend the sacred dance that is done to celebrate the lives of lost loved ones and to appreciate the people that helped the family through the mourning process.Nulato residents are predominantly Koyukon Athabascan with trapping and subsistence lifestyle.
Citywideinformation.com - enjoy
Terms Of Service | Privacy Policy | Digital Millenium Copyright Act Policy | DMCA Takedown Request Form | Copyright | Refund Policy

City History, Geography and attractions information courtesy of Wikipedia. These portions are and may be used under a Creative Commons License.

Copyright 2013 - Citywide Information - All Rights Reserved