Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/citywideinformat/public_html/moreinfo.php on line 6
City search USA

More information about New Lenox

What is now the Village of New Lenox was first settled in the late 1820s, in the area of Gougar crossing (Route 30 and Gougar Road) and it was called VanHorne Point. New Lenox Township was established when Will County was created in 1852 with the building of the Rock Island Railroad between Chicago and Rock Island, Illinois. Originally named Tracey in honor of the general superintendent of the Rock Island Railroad. Mr. Tracy later requested that the community be renamed. The first supervisor of the Rock Island Railway for New Lenox Township, John Van Duser, named the Township New Lenox from the town of Lenox in New York, which was Van Duser's hometown. In 1863 the name for the new settlement officially became New Lenox Township.The Village of New Lenox wasn't officially created until October 4, 1946. In 1945 and 46 community leaders, F. Carlton Cole, Walter Baers and others reasoned that the community should be incorporated. Recognizing the benefits and the potential growth of the area, a community vote in the spring of 1946 resulted in the authorization for the creation of the Village of New Lenox. On October 4, 1946, the State of Illinois officially certified that the Village of New Lenox was legally organized and incorporated as a Village in the State of Illinois.
Citywideinformation.com - enjoy
Terms Of Service | Privacy Policy | Digital Millenium Copyright Act Policy | DMCA Takedown Request Form | Copyright | Refund Policy

City History, Geography and attractions information courtesy of Wikipedia. These portions are and may be used under a Creative Commons License.

Copyright 2013 - Citywide Information - All Rights Reserved