Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/citywideinformat/public_html/moreinfo.php on line 6
City search USA

More information about Joliet

In 1833, following the Black Hawk War, Charles Reed built a cabin along the west side of the Des Plaines River. Across the river in 1834, James B. Campbell, treasurer of the canal commissioners, laid out the village of "Juliet", named after his daughter. Just before the depression of 1837, Juliet incorporated as a village, but to cut tax expenses, Juliet residents soon petitioned the state to rescind that incorporation. In 1845, local residents changed the community's name from "Juliet" to "Joliet". Joliet was reincorporated as a city in 1852. The origin of the name was most likely a corruption of the name of French Canadian explorer Louis Jolliet, who in 1673, along with Father Jacques Marquette, paddled up the Des Plaines River and camped on a huge mound, a few miles south of present-day Joliet. Maps from Jolliet's exploration of the area, placed a large hill or mound on what is now the southwest corner of the city. That hill was named Mound Jolliet and was made up entirely of clay. The spot was mined by early settlers and is now a depression.
Citywideinformation.com - enjoy
Terms Of Service | Privacy Policy | Digital Millenium Copyright Act Policy | DMCA Takedown Request Form | Copyright | Refund Policy

City History, Geography and attractions information courtesy of Wikipedia. These portions are and may be used under a Creative Commons License.

Copyright 2013 - Citywide Information - All Rights Reserved